Finding Used Camper Parts To Fix Mine Up

Question: Hi Luise: My daughter told me about your site and said I should “ask Luise” about finding used camper parts and how to fix my rig up. I’ve been surfing for RV parts for the furnace in my older model, Alaskan Camper and haven’t found what I need. I am also looking at travel trailer mattresses to replace my old worn out one so my son and I can go fishing this spring. You seem like you’re in the know when it comes to RV’s. Got any ideas how I can fix mine up without spending a fortune? Thanks, Bert A.

Answer: Dear Bert: You probably know as much about RVs as I do, and are just as good or better at surfing the web. But I sure do love the subject and it’s been a major hobby of mine for over twenty years.

When you get into the older models, I know it’s not always easy to keep appliances in good repair. If I were looking for parts for a RV furnace, I think I would check with the local repair people and see if they might have one that they had parted out. We have mobile RV repair guys where I live as well as shops that work on units on site. I would also contact the manufacturer to see if they carried refurbished parts. You can put certain free ads on the Alaskan Camper web site. So, maybe try that.

I don’t think you need a RV mattress from what you wrote. A new rig would warrant a Select RV Mattress but one of those would cost you more than your camper is worth, and be a lot more than you need. I favor foam rubber. Buy thick for comfort. If your local outlets don’t have the size you want, you can glue two pieces together so you hardly know there’s a seam. I always put a waterproof cover on to discourage mildew. (Nothing I know of prevents it.) So my advice is to stick with used camper parts when you can…and if you have to buy new, go cheap. Blessings, Luise

15 Responses to Finding Used Camper Parts To Fix Mine Up

  1. Heather June 1, 2006 at 11:15 am #

    Hi I was wondering where I could find a entrance door for a 1978 Prowler Camper. Something cheap. 72×25.5 The base of the door. Please get back to me. Thank You!

  2. Luise June 6, 2006 at 4:44 pm #

    Hi Heather,
    I would put an ad in your local paper, or one in the largest city close to you, asking if anyone is parting out that make and model. Good luck!
    Blessings, Luise

  3. Louis Keup September 17, 2006 at 1:28 pm #

    Question: Im looking for the valve that glues onto the sewer tank of my 1965 Kenskill camper. Its a 3″ hub type of fitting. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

  4. Luise September 18, 2006 at 5:57 pm #

    I would go to a shop that repairs trailers and ask them how they find parts like that…and what they do when they can’t locate them. (Perhaps there’s a universal valve available.) I would also run an ad in a large paper under RVs asking if anyone is parting out a 1965 Kenskill.

  5. Darrell Edmonds December 10, 2008 at 12:45 pm #

    do you have parts for a carter mark vI awnings? I need the callapsuble end
    bracets and canvice for 21 ft awning

  6. K. June 12, 2009 at 10:54 am #

    RV Surplus Salvage has a lot of hard to find parts, including entrance doors. Be warned however, they’re expensive. A 24 x 68 for my old 1968 pull behind was $500. Which is about the going price anywhere I’ve found them. Good luck! K.

    • Luise June 12, 2009 at 11:01 am #

      Thanks, K. Do they have a website? If so, what’s the URL?

      I had the same experience with parts for my ancient Argosy/Airstream. Airstream dealers carry a lot of new parts for their vintage trailers but I paid almost $400. for a new, stock, door handle. Whew! Blessings, Luise

  7. K. July 22, 2009 at 7:48 am #

    I need a roof mount a/c unit. Prefer a used one. K.

    • Luise July 22, 2009 at 10:17 am #

      I think your best bet would be Graig’s List in your area. You need buy locally because of the weight. Shipping would cost more than a used unit. Luise

  8. Troy Allison November 27, 2009 at 7:52 am #

    I have a fully functional Carter MARK VI Awning, 21′ in great shape. It was mounted on a 1990 Vacationeer 5th Wheel travel trailer. The Awning support frame needs a new upper strut on one end ( I repaired the existing one) and a new Welt Seam sewn on. It has the Aluminum guard (which encolses it when rolled up), which could use new rubber seam covers on the ends (Not Required). I have pictures. Am asking $500.00 plus shipping.

  9. sarah April 7, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

    hello, i am trying to find body pannels for my mark 1984 fiat iveco daily camper, i have searched the web but havent seen anything so far,can you reconmend something? please!!

  10. KEN May 5, 2010 at 9:05 pm #


  11. michael December 13, 2010 at 9:16 am #

    hi im looking for a windsheild wipper modular for a 1987 make holiday imperial rambeler moter home i hove no wipers you can emial me at

  12. C. July 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm #

    I just purchased my first camper, needless to say I am Illiterate when it is time to discuss it. My problem is I have a Fleetwood Yukon, I think it is about a 1995. Anyway, I have it in a park that offers public utilities, but the piece that would connect to the public water incoming hose, gasket or
    what ever word is correct is broken. I hope you have some advice or maybe even guidence as to how I can accomplish indoor pluming and where I can firnd the pieces as well,
    thank you, I apologize for my ignorance on this subject. Please help. C.

    • Luise August 7, 2011 at 8:36 am #

      I hope posting your questions here will bring a response from someone who knows that unit and how to maintain it. Blessings, Luise

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: