How Can I Help My Son?

Question: Dear Luise: I am ready to accept that my college-age son is a) an alcoholic, b) depressed and c) a danger to himself and possibly those around him. It is a very hard thing to admit. Now, what to do first? L.

Answer: Dear L.: The first thing I would do would be to start attending A-Anon meetings right away. I would probably go to different groups until I found one that was a fit, unless I hit it lucky the first time. There is a great deal of information available there and much needed support for you as well.

It’s nearly impossible to help someone who doesn’t want to help himself. I honestly think that working with others in an established program is your wisest choice. It’s sometimes very difficult to determine what is your son’s responsibility and what, as his mother, is yours; especially if he is being irresponsible. I think Al-Anon is the best place to start. Blessings, Luise

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: